Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Beaver Creek Reserve Celebrates the Season of Gratitude

Thanksgiving is a wonderful time for family, friends, and good food. But, as the name implies, it is also a time to remember what you are thankful for. 

Here at Beaver Creek Reserve, we have much to be thankful for. In the last three years, we have experienced tremendous growth and have completed several large-scale capital projects. Our staff would like to share what we are each thankful for. 



Jeanette and her son enjoying
Tadpole Toddler Camp
"I am thankful for the new Tadpole Toddler Camp; my child loved it and can't wait to attend next year! I am thankful for all the new opportunities at BCR geared towards early childhood. I am thankful to be able to work on things I truly care about. I am thankful to have such great people to work with. I am thankful to call this 400 acres my office. I am thankful to have work in an environment that is open to the staff's ideas. I am thankful and amazed to have such committed and passionate volunteers. I am thankful for every person that approaches me with questions about nature.  It shows people are thinking, concerned, and care. I am thankful for every parent and grandparent that bring their kids to BCR.” 
             --Jeanette Kelly, Citizen Science Director




Jim Schwiebert Tagging Monarchs
"I am thankful for all the people who consistently step up to volunteer for all things butterfly related here at Beaver Creek. It is such a tremendous outreach to our region of the state and beyond, and we simply cannot do it without the dedicated core of volunteers that we have. I'm also thankful for all of the relationships I've developed with those volunteers! We are blessed to have such a wonderful group of people to call our volunteers and friends!
           --Jim Schwiebert, Naturalist




"I am thankful that I work for such a family-friendly place. I am thankful for my great coworkers that make work a fun and happy place.” 

       --Julie Felske, Database Coordinator


Bcr Staff catching butterflies
“I am so thankful to come to work each day and feel like what I do makes a difference.  I am thankful for my supportive co-workers who have become my extended family.  I am thankful that BCR is so supported and respected in the community. I am truly grateful to all the volunteers, board members and donors who give their time and money to ensure the future of this incredible place!”

         --Brianne Markin, Marketing and Development Coordinator


"I am so thankful to the members and donors who gave not only money but considerable amounts of time.  We accomplished a lot this year, and we could not have done it without them!"
        --Jerad Polden, Caretaker


Ruth Forsgren tapping trees with a guest at French Toast Breaskfast

"I am thankful for all the volunteers that help our programming go so well.  I am thankful for the contagious excitement of a 5-year-old, that makes my job new and fresh each day as well as the wide-eyed wonder I see when people meet Luna, Aurora or any of our animal ambassadors for the first time.  Lastly, I am thankful for the opportunities I have to share the awesomeness of nature with visitors of all ages."
       -- Ruth Forsgren, BCR Naturalist 

"I am thankful to have a dream job. Really, I have thought about what it would be like to work at a place like Beaver Creek long before I ever realized it could be a possibility here. Prior to working here I always placed a strong value on the land and programs that make this place so special, but as work here longer the relationships with the “friends” of Beaver Creek are most rewarding part. Getting to work alongside so many talented and amazing volunteers, staff, board and members makes me look forward to my job each day.

Solar Ribbon Cutting August 2017
2017 has been an especially thankful year with our large donation and the creation of the solar array on the Nature Center and then being able to generate all our electricity through solar power with the leasing of Eau Claire Energy Coop’s solar program. Having something like a solar-powered nature center was something that I hoped that could be accomplished in a decade and it all happened in a few months this year! I learn new things every day, I’m inspired, I’m humbled and most of all I am Thankful to be a part of such a great organization."
         -- Erik Keisler, Executive Director



Thanksgiving is also a time to consider end-of-year giving-- how you can use what you have to benefit others. For six years, Giving Tuesday, the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, has been an amazing global campaign to give the season greater meaning and to channel funds, gifts, and time into worthy causes. This year, Giving Tuesday is November 28th, and it is the perfect way for you to give back. 

As you think about Giving Tuesday, we ask that you consider giving to Beaver Creek Reserve. We need your help in order to continue our mission of connecting people with nature. 

To make a monetary donation, visit our donation page at https://www.beavercreekreserve.org/support/donations/

To learn more about volunteer opportunities at Beaver Creek Reserve, visit our volunteer page at https://www.beavercreekreserve.org/support/volunteer/

We are thankful for you! We wish you and your family a safe and happy holiday filled with many things that make you grateful. 




No comments:

Post a Comment