Monday, April 27, 2020

To All Our Volunteers

By: Kristen Giefer


Our volunteers at Beaver Creek Reserve are incredible assets to the growth and success of our organization. As the AmeriCorps member serving as the Volunteer Coordinator at Beaver Creek Reserve, I am privileged to work with the volunteers that we have. There are a variety of ways a volunteer can be involved at the Reserve, whether it’s through Citizen Science Programs, Hobb’s Observatory Programs, volunteering at special events or at the front desk of the Nature Center, or maintaining our trails and gardens. I know I always have someone to count on when an opportunity arises, which I couldn’t be more grateful for. However, I am not the only person who appreciates our volunteers, here are some stories from Beaver Creek staff members that explain just how much our volunteers mean to us.

Beaver Creek would not be where it is today without its volunteers.  I work with many of them regularly at the front desk, and this past year especially I have found myself leaning on them pretty heavily to keep the nature center front desk staffed and open.  Each volunteer at the front desk brings something different to the table, from amazing proofreading skills, to data entry, and even baking.  But what they all have in common is that they are kind souls who are always willing to help.  Some volunteers I get to see every week, some are able to be on call and fill in as needed.  I always look forward to chatting with them and learning from them. There are many wonderful people out there, but I think that BCR has really hit the jackpot with our volunteers.
-Hannah Becker, Office Manager

Greg Hirsch guides visitors
around the Butterfly House
at Butterfly Fest, 2019.
Photo by Ruth Forsgren.
I just completed my first year at Beaver Creek Reserve, and I am completely amazed by the ambitious and generous volunteers we have! Beginning with our Butterfly House and Lab volunteers who put in long days and extra hours to take care of our Monarch Butterflies and share their incredible knowledge with the public, to volunteering with our community programs. We are incredibly grateful to have so many hard-working volunteers that care so much about Beaver Creek Reserve, and I'm very excited to see what the future holds for all of us. Thank you to all our volunteers!!
-Megan Giefer, Naturalist

A huge thank you goes out to the many volunteers it takes to make our Butterfly House the attraction that it is at Beaver Creek!  Countless hours are put in by people helping plant the House and gardens, caring for caterpillars in our lab, collecting butterflies, and serving as the face of Beaver Creek as guides in our Butterfly House.  This absolutely could nothing happen without all of you!  We owe you so much, and you ask nothing in return but to serve!  Thank you all!
-Jim Schwiebert, Naturalist

Volunteers working on the beehives at
Beaver Creek. Photo by Ruth Forsgren.
Being a volunteer at Beaver Creek Reserve not only benefits BCR, it benefits the volunteer.  When we moved to the Chippewa Valley almost 12 years ago, we had a one year old and no friends or family in the area.  My husband was starting a new job and I was going to be a stay at home mom.  Being isolated in a new place with no support system was extremely difficult for me and I needed something to get me out of the house.  On a weekend outing, we discovered Beaver Creek and I immediately applied to be a weekend receptionist volunteer.  I tried to work one shift each month and did this for almost 7 years!  It was a fantastic way to get out of the house, use my brain again, and give back to an organization that has the same priorities as me.  It made me feel good to be useful in a role outside of being a mom, which also helped me be a better mom. Because of the connections I made while volunteering, I was able to transition to a staff position as the Database Coordinator at BCR.  As an employee I still get to work with many volunteers at Beaver Creek which is an added benefit. I learn something new every time I work with a volunteer.  Each person brings their own expertise and can share it with others benefiting BCR and myself personally.  Volunteering is a win-win for everyone!
-Julie Felske, Database Coordinator


Our Volunteers make our office run more smoothly. They each bring a different set of past career knowledge that gives us an invaluable well to pull from.  If we need help with policy changes all the way to cutting out hundreds for colored hearts they are up for the task.  Each of them is a joy to work with and I sincerely appreciate all they do. THANK YOU!
-Kirsten Holmes, Office Assistant

Sherry Sprague teaching campers about snakes during
Nature Nuts, 2019. Photo by Ruth Forsgren.
If Beaver Creek didn’t have such a vast crew of volunteers, there is no way I could run many of my programs or camps. One example that immediately comes to mind is Nature Nuts. I have 72, five and six year olds that join me for the week long Nuts Camp each year and without strong volunteers there is no way I could run that camp. These volunteers not only help teach and lead, but they also pretend, get excited and show amazement right along with my campers. The second example comes quickly to mind is the Holiday Crafting for Kids program; on this Saturday before Thanksgiving program, these awesome volunteers come ready to help the kids to glue, paint, tie, build their crafts. Then there are my, what I will call the behind-the-scene support crew volunteers, they are ones who help me with pre-cutting, pre-gluing, collecting sticks or whatever other seemingly silly things I ask them to do that help make the programs so smoother. As I write these things down, I think of more and more examples of how volunteers positively affect my work, and without whom I couldn’t do my job as effectively, and there is no way in a short paragraph I can thank them all, but every single one is important to me and I truly do thank you all!
-Ruth Forsgren, Naturalist

Dan Mittag and Jerad Polden
performing a controlled burn
in our oak savanna, 2019.
It's no secret that volunteers are why Beaver Creek is what it is today. Our Citizen Science Center is built around the idea that anybody can make an important contribution to science. Citizen Science volunteers are always getting out there in the woods, prairies, and rivers. They're the ones peeking into nest boxes, using wacky devices to survey for bats, and watching out for invasive species. It's inspiring to see how much our volunteers care. The CSC has been host to many different projects that have brought some of the most amazing and interesting people through our doors. I always feel lucky to know so many good people because of Beaver Creek.
-AJ Leiden, Aquatic Invasive Species Coordinator

I really appreciate getting to know all our volunteers. It has been so great to get little sneak peeks into their lives through stories about their families, grandkids, pets, plants, crafts, etc. Thank you for all that you do!
-Elizabeth Botz, Human Resources & Training Intern

Larry Kolbrek and Judy Valen serve hot chocolate to
snowshoers at our Candlelight Snowshoe Hike, 2019.
Photo by Ruth Forsgren.
Beaver Creek Reserve started as an effort by concerned locals who saw a need for area youth to connect to nature.  More than 70 years later, Beaver Creek has grown, changed and prospered, because volunteers, much like those who started the youth camp, have a passion for conserving the environment, protecting plants and animals, and educating the public on their importance. Volunteers are the heart of our organization, we are grateful to all who volunteer whether for one hour a year, or several hours each week.  Your time and dedication is what allows us to innovate while remaining relevant, and to ensure our mission continues well into the future. Sincerest thank you to you all!
-Brianne Markin, Marketing & Development Coordinator


With only being an intern at Beaver Creek, I’m not in as much as full-time staff. However, there’s one thing that’s certain, Beaver Creek Reserve has the sweetest volunteers around. These volunteers are willing to help with literally anything and do it with a smile on their face. They all seem to be so happy, content and enthusiastic all the time. I’m inspired by all of their demeanors! They all pose a good example on how to just enjoy life and not take anything for granted.
-Amy Oldenburg, Marketing Intern

-Jeanette Kelly, Citizen Science and
Education Director

MAPS bird banders, 2018.
Since I have come to Beaver Creek Reserve our volunteers have been one of our most important resources. So much of what happens at Beaver Creek wouldn’t happen without many extra hands to help make it happen. I look forward to seeing our bird banding volunteers every week. Many of them have spent many hours training and understanding birds all of which is volunteer hours. They are dedicated to further our understanding of birds and to producing well collected data to be used by scientists around the world. I have seen them come out in all weather conditions and stay out late into the night all in the name of science. They are amazing people and are the reason for the strong banding program here at Beaver Creek Reserve.
-Tully Frain, Bird Intern

Day of Caring volunteers working
on the fire pit shelter, 2019.
Thanks to volunteers Beaver Creek was started 70 years ago! Ever since we have started, we truly couldn't have done all of the amazing things that we do without all of your help. Volunteers log thousands of hours every year that would total 5-6 full-time staff on average, that's an amazing impact! Not only are the hundreds of volunteers helping to spread our mission of "connecting people with nature" they are also dear friends and neighbors of Beaver Creek and we all look forward to seeing you each time you come to help us out. Thanks for all you do to Beaver Creek!
-Erik Keisler, Executive Director


There are so many more incredible stories and memories Beaver Creek Reserve staff have because of our volunteers. Their unique skills and willingness to always lend a hand, as well as their kindness and generosity, not only benefit the lives of the visitors who come to Beaver Creek, but also anyone who has the privilege to work with them. I am so proud of our continuously growing volunteer program at Beaver Creek Reserve, and the work volunteers have done to build our organization into what it is today. We truly couldn’t do what we do without their continued support and dedication. To all our amazing volunteers, we appreciate each and every one of you; here’s to 73 more years of environmental stewardship, education, and growth!

From all of us at Beaver Creek Reserve, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment